Tasty and Healthy
This Chicken and Spinach Curry is super easy to make, and it’s full of antioxidant rich spices, which have anti-inflammatory benefits. The coconut milk and turmeric based curry combine turmeric, black pepper, chili, tomatoes, bone broth and coconut milk. If you’re into optimizing your health with your food and want your body to enjoy the benefits of turmeric be sure to include black pepper in your recipe, as the piperine in black pepper has been proven to improve the bioavailability of curcumin, the active compound in turmeric.
Easy to customize
This recipe is easily adjustable to make large quantities by doubling the ingredients. You can also quickly make it spicier by adding more chili or reduce the chili to make it less spicy. The recipe uses chicken breasts which you can also easily substitute with thighs, drumsticks or any part you prefer. You can cook with the bones in the meat as the bones will give extra flavor, if you prefer. If you don’t have spinach, you can use swiss chard or some kale.
4 chicken breasts
3 cups sliced spinach
200 ml coconut milk
1 cup stock or bone broth of choice
1 heaped teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 small onion
1 large tomato
2 cloves garlic
½ a teaspoon or more ground chili or fresh chili
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons cooking oil of choice (we prefer coconut oil)
- Prepare to cook by cutting the chicken into small pieces and sprinkling a bit of salt on it, slice the spinach, finely dice the onion and finely chop the tomatoes or grate them.
- In a pan over medium heat; heat up the cooking oil and start frying the chicken turning it from time to time until it’s golden brown all round. This should take about 6 minutes or so. Once the chicken is cooked take it off the pan and set it aside in a bowl covered while starting the sauce.
- Add onions to the pan and fry until translucent for about 2 minutes then add the garlic and fry for a another minute
- Add the tomatoes and leave them to cook to a sauce for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add black pepper, chili, turmeric, salt and mix then add bone broth.
- Bring to a simmer and add coconut milk and mix.
- Add the chicken pieces back in, cover the pot and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat so the chicken is just cooking at a low simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Taste and tweak the seasonings after simmering. Add more salt, black pepper, turmeric or chili if needed. If it’s too spicy, add more coconut milk.
- Finish off by adding the spinach at the end so it doesn’t overcook. Mix it in and leave it to cook in the sauce for about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how well done you like your veggies.
- Once it’s cooked take it off the heat and set it aside ready to serve.
Serve and enjoy with any meal of your choice.
Recipe By Maj Dube
Maj Dube is a recipe writer and photographer at Biohackers Recipes. She enjoys cooking recipes with real food ingredients that optimize health. She loves to cook and share recipes that are quick and not so complicated to prepare.